Since starting this whole Paleo eating routine as an attempt to minimize my pain, I’ve been able to resist most temptations (well, except for my sister’s bomb-ass chocolate wedding cake…bomb-ass meaning delicious). I’ve quelled most sweet cravings with fruit. But there are just some things cherries can’t fix. I miss my evil refined carbs. My dad is mostly to blame. You see, he doesn’t stop moving for more than 10 minutes throughout the day, so his skinny-self can eat whatever the hell it wants. And for some reason, he always chooses to make a big, delicious stack of gluten-laden pancakes (a major Paleo no-no) and consume them in front of me. Jerk.
So what do we do when faced with culinary adversity? WE ADAPT! After doing a little research, I found this Paleo-friendly almond flour pancake recipe from this site: The Food Lovers Primal Palate
They came out freakin awesome, so I’m sharing it with you. Even if you’re not cutting out grains, these paleo pancakes are a super tasty treat. They’re a bit denser than normal pancakes and have a nice nutty flavor. Plus, almonds are a GREAT source of Vitamin E, which is an antioxidant that’s good for skin and hair as well as your immune system.
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2/3 cup water
- Coconut oil to coat pan
Fun fact: Almond flour is basically just blanched, pulverized almonds. So you can easily make it yourself with a food processor. I bought it because I’m lazy.
Lots of Paleo recipes call for coconut oil. It’s solid, so it looks weird. Sometimes you can find it at regular grocery stores, but it’s pretty readily available at Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s. And there’s always Amazon.
Here’s whatcha do…
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk two eggs with vanilla extract.
- Mix almond flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a separate bowl.
- Add the vanilla/eggs mixture to dry ingredients.
- Mix with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Add water, and continue to stir.
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a skillet (if you’re not going totally Paleo, you can use a regular cooking spray)
- Scoop batter into the pan, leaving enough space in between pancakes to flip.
- Cook about 2 minutes on the first side, flip, and cook for a remaining 1-2 minutes. Add additional cooking fat as needed. These puppies are prone to sticking.
- Top with whatever the heck you want. I chose to fry up some apples in coconut oil and use a little maple syrup.
And voila! Here’s the finished product (hey, I never said I was a food photographer..). The only thing missing is bacon. Nom nom..
Peace, love & happy eating,